Monday, February 13, 2006

Autograph Hunters - Spencer Davis Group

We didn’t set out to make autograph collections. I think it was an excuse to get near to our musical heroes without being mistaken for groupies (no fear of that really at 11 yrs old – this was pre Gary Glitter).

Jade here. Actually, I never did collect autographs but cuz has some great ones. She gave Frank Zappa a newspaper (only paper available) and asked for a sign of The Times. Don't think he got it ......

It all started when the Spencer Davis Group were playing at the Club A’ Gogo in Newcastle. ‘Keep on Running’ had just hit number one and Stevie Winwood was The Man (only 17, not that much older than us). A girl in the sixth form was rumoured to have gone for a drink with him when they played the Majestic a couple of months earlier. We had a plan. We’d go to the Gogo in the afternoon and catch them at their sound check (as women of the world we read NME and knew what went on). The day before the gig we bundled onto the yellow trolley bus in Fenham and headed to town for a recce. As we reached our stop at Eldon Square, Linda suddenly yelled out. She’d seen Stevie Winwood walking along the street. ( I didn’t believe her, it was a day too early). Scattering innocent bystanders we barged out and were in pursuit.

‘scuse me’ Linda was pretty bold ‘are you Stevie Winwood outta the Spencer Davis Group’. I think he realised it was a fair cop. We had the numbers. The next day at the Gogo we met the rest of the band and some nice people who worked there.
That’s how we became autograph hunters. Not groupies

Cuz - I wasn't with you and Linda (but remember you are Molesworth II to my Moleswoth I, hem hem OK, older then!) but I remember walking up the stairs at the 'gogo behind Stevie and he had that dead ginger cat coat on and orange panstick stuff on his face. A while later you heard him on (pirate?) radio (or was it Luxembourg?) talking about young girls in Newcastle and how they weren't interested in the music. I was outraged! I had listened to The Yardbirds and John Mayall on Saturday Club when I was 11 after all!!! However, I remain a fan to this day Stevie, so you were forgiven! Jade

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home